Written by Chef Arli
Crispy prawn tacos? Yes please, I’ll take 10! Writing this recipe out is making me crave these beauties again, so that’s it I’m making them again this week! These prawn tacos are honestly so easy to make and a real crowd-pleaser. One of those dishes that will have whoever is eating them thinking you spent hours by your stove.
Asian Mexican fusion
15 min prep / 30 min cooking
20 king prawns, washed, de-veined
1 cup plain flour
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 tsp paprika
Pinch of chilli powder
4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1 spring onion, chopped
8 small tortillas
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
Handful coriander, chopped
Squeeze of lime
Dash of hot sauce
- Marinate the prawns in the salt, pepper, paprika and chilli for an hour.
- Mix the mayonnaise, cabbage, coriander, lime, salt, pepper and hot sauce together and set aside.
- Use 3 separate bowls and add the flour, breadcrumbs and eggs into each one.
- Dip the prawns into the flour, then into the eggs and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Fry on a medium/high heat until golden brown. Remember prawns cook in minutes so don’t leave them on for too long! No one wants overdone prawns!
- I like to toast my tortillas in a pan with no oil. Just toast for a couple of minutes on each side
- Add the slaw to the tortilla.
- Add the prawns in a row.
- Top with extra lime juice, coriander and jalapeños.
Hope you enjoy trying out this recipe as much I enjoyed creating it, it’s definitely a show-stopper for your next dinner party.