Recipe and image by Rukkie Cooks
30 min prep / 1 hour cooking
800g stewing beef
2 garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
2 tsp dried thyme
1 beef stock cube
½ chicken stock cube
2tsp curry powder
2 red pointed peppers (romana peppers)
1 sweet red pepper (bell pepper)
1 tin plum tomatoes
1tbsp tomato puree
Rice to serve
– Boil your beef pieces with 2 cloves of garlic, 1 beef stock cube, salt, 2 bay leaves, 2tsp thyme and 1 chopped onion in quarters, for 15 minutes.
– Strain your beef stock and set aside for later
– In vegetable oil, shallow fry the beef pieces until browned for around 5 minutes
– In a blender add 1 tin of plum tomatoes, 2 pointed red peppers, 1 red sweet pepper, 1 onion and scotch bonnet chilli to your preference.
– In a pot, sauté half a finely chopped onion in vegetable oil along with 1tbsp of tomato puree, stir continuously and pour in blended mixture.
– Season with ½ chicken bouillon cube, 2tsp curry powder and 1 bay leaf
– Pour in strained beef stock, taste for flavouring and add salt accordingly.
– Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes before adding cooked beef for the remaining 5 minutes.
– Serve with steamed rice