Written by Chef Bryanne Hackman
Bursting with flavours from West Africa, this is the bowl you never thought you needed! Our signature Best Body Africa honey-suya marinade coated on juicy, succulent chicken will have you licking your plate dry. Paired with a spicy Jollof made from one of Africa’s staple grains- millet- be prepared for an overall nourishing experience. Of course, you can’t have a West African inspired bowl without plantain and a spicy sauce to bring all the flavours together.
20 min prep / 50 min cooking
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp honey
Salt to taste
2 tbsp suya powder
1/2 tbsp chilli powder
2 tbsp ginger paste/grated ginger
10 cloves garlic
250g white pearl millet
3 tbsp oil
Chillis to your taste (we used 1 handful Ghanaian kpakposhito)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp dry thyme
6 medium tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato concentrate/paste
Honey Suya Chicken
– Mix suya powder, honey, ½ tbsp ginger, chilli powder, 2 chopped/minced garlic cloves and salt to taste in a bowl.
– Add your chicken thighs to a baking tray lined with foil and pour your chicken marinade over the chicken, coating thoroughly. Cook straight away or marinate overnight.
– Grill in the oven at 180*C for 30 minutes or until fully cooked, flipping halfway through.
– Chop 1 onion and add to a medium-sized pot with 3 tbsp oil. Cook until translucent.
– Add tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
– Blend 1 chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp ginger 8 cloves garlic and chillis.
– Add blended mixture to your pot with salt to taste, thyme and bay leaves.
– Cover the pot and cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
– Add your millet and water.
– Cover your pot lid with foil and cover the pot, cooking on a low to medium heat for 30 minutes or until the millet is soft. Stir occasionally with a fork.
– Slice your plantain lengthways in four.
– Preheat your oven to 180*C and place plantain slices on a grill tray. Cook for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
– Wilt your spinach in a dry pan over a medium heat.
We guarantee you will enjoy this flavour-packed recipe!